This Dairy-Free Banana Bread has been an actual game changer, y’all!
I’ve been on a dairy-free diet off and on for 3 years now, as a result of breastfeeding two dairy-intolerant babies. By far, the hardest part has been satisfying my sweet tooth without dairy. It’s the butter — it’s in everything delicious!
Plus, I’m cooking for a family of 5 now, and while the baby & I can’t have dairy, everyone else can. So I’m basically always hunting for dairy-free recipes that don’t contain weird, obscure substitutes, and that taste just as good as their dairy-filled counterparts. (After all, there are only so many nights in a row I can feed my family Trader Joe’s Mandarin Chicken.)
Let’s be real… I don’t have the time, energy, or desire to cook separate meals for myself and the rest of the family — so we all suffer together!
And this banana bread fits the bill. My husband even declared it the best banana bread he’s had, ever — dairy-free or not.
Dairy-Free Banana Bread Ingredients
As promised, there are no weird or hard-to-find ingredients in this dairy-free banana bread! It’s actually pretty simple – you probably already have everything you need:
- sugar (granulated and brown)
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- vegan butter or coconut oil
So many dairy-free recipes include obscure, niche ingredients, which always deter me because I either don’t have them on-hand or can’t find them at my regular grocery store.
Banana bread is usually something I make on a whim, when I walk past the counter and notice that my bananas’ days are numbered. We all know that bananas go from “eh” to “disgusting” in like 12 hours, so when you spot them in this prime banana bread time frame, you’ve gotta be able to pounce!
How to Make Banana Bread with Cinnamon Swirl
Don’t let the “cinnamon swirl” part of this recipe intimidate you. It’s so easy to do, and it adds so much flavor (plus, it just looks fancy!).
To make this dairy-free banana bread, simply:
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Mash up the bananas, and mix with sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
- Mix the melted vegan butter / coconut oil with cinnamon and sugar.
- Pour half the batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Add half the cinnamon mixture on top, and use a knife to swirl across batter.
- Top with remaining batter, then swirl remaining cinnamon mixture on top.
- Bake, cool, devour!
Find the full recipe card with details below – and let me know what you think if you make it!
Dairy-Free Banana Bread (with Cinnamon Swirl)
This Dairy-Free Banana Bread is just as good as any traditional banana bread recipe, but without any butter or milk products. It's fluffy and moist, with a delicious cinnamon swirl kick – you'll never know the butter is missing!
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard size loaf pan, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl. whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Add ripe bananas to stand mixer (or large bowl), and mash lightly with a fork.
- Mix on low until fully mashed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the brown sugar, and mix until smooth.
- Add eggs to mixture, one at a time, then add vanilla extract.
- Fold in dry ingredients, then mix on low for a few seconds to fully combine, until batter is smooth.
- In a small bowl, melt the vegan butter or coconut oil. Whisk in cinnamon and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until combined.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and drop half of the cinnamon mixture on top, in dollops. Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon throughout the pan.
- Pour the remaining half of the batter into the pan, top with remaining cinnamon sugar, and swirl with knife.
- Bake uncovered for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g